Property #: 1518400001
Historic Site Credit: Rochester Hills Historic Districts Commission
Website Administrator: Rochester-Avon Historical Society

[lightbox]
Address
Street:  480 S Adams Road
City:  Rochester Hills
County:  Oakland
ZIP:  48309
Latitude:  42.672954
Longitude:  -83.194936
Current Name:
Historic Name:
John Dodge Farmhouse
 
Evaluations
Contributes to:
Meadow Brook Farms Historic District
NR Eligible:
Not NR Eligible
Contributing:
Contributing Site
SHPO Evaluation:
 
Resources on Property Status
Historic Use:
Domestic: Single dwelling
Current Use:
Education: Education-related
Owner Type:
Public
Photo
Filename:
dodge house 2011.jpg
Roll:
 
Frame:  
View:
Credit:
Deborah J. Larsen
Caption:
John Dodge Farmhouse, west elevation, 2011
 
Main Building
Foundation:
1. STONE: Granite
2.
3.
Wall:
1. WOOD: Weatherboard
2.
3.
 
Roof:
1. ASPHALT
2.
3.
Other:
1.
2.
3.
 
Period of Significance:  
 
Area of Significance:
1. Architecture
2. Agriculture
3.
Arch/Builder:  
Date Built:  ca. 1880
 
Architectural Classification:
 
Material Notes:
 
Description:
Two story, roughly T-plan gable roof frame house. Front (east) porch wraps around sids; porch is open in front and enclosed on sides. Square porch columns with panels. Two front dormers and oval window on second floor. Mostly 6/6 and 9/9 windows. Sleeping porches on second floor sides over enclosed portions of porch. North side has small entrance porch with Doric columns and concrete handicapped access ramp. Dormer window. West side has two doors and a larger entrance porch with square posts, topped by balustrade. Dormer window. South side has large side porch with Doric columns, two doors, and a cross gable on the second floor. 
Other Buildings/Features:
Located at east end of Golf View Lane. 
Significant Persons:
Dodge, John Francis, 1864-1920 
Statement of Significance:
After James Higgins purchased the Hubbel farm in 1896 he "enlarged and completely overhauled the farm residence." John Dodge remodeled the farmhouse immediately after purchasing the farm and again ca. 1914-15. These remodelings included removing the low back part of the house and adding the present west elevation, and in 1914 adding the sleeping porches. Higgins' enlarged house had 14 rooms; the completed John Dodge Farmhouse had 30. The house was restored by Oakland University ca. 2000; they replaced the windows at this time. The house now contains Oakland University's alumni development offices. 
References:
1. Fox, Beautiful Rochester, 20-22
2. "Status of the Buildings and their Utilities," unpublished report, Oakland University
3. 1914 blueprints, other materials in Meadow Brook Hall Collections.
4. Michigan. State Historic Preservation Office. Intensive Level Survey, Rochester Hills Historic Districts Survey [prepared for the City of Rochester Hills by Jane C. Busch], 2002, p.255. 
Surveyor's Comments:
 
History: