Property #: 1522376006
Historic Site Credit: Rochester-Avon Historical Society
Website Administrator: Rochester-Avon Historical Society

[slideshow]
Address
Street:  1840 Crestline Street
City:  Rochester Hills
County:  Oakland
ZIP:  48307
Latitude:  42.654598
Longitude:  -83.14298
Current Name:
Historic Name:
Cyrus Reimer House
 
Evaluations
Contributes to:
NR Eligible:
Contributing:
SHPO Evaluation:
 
Resources on Property Status
Historic Use:
Domestic: Single dwelling
Current Use:
Domestic: Single dwelling
Owner Type:
Private
Photo
Filename:
fisher-reimer house 2011.jpg
Roll:
 
Frame:  
View:
Credit:
Deborah J. Larsen
Caption:
Cyrus Reimer House, Crestline location, east elevation, 2011
 
Main Building
Foundation:
1. CONCRETE
2.
3.
Wall:
1. WOOD: Shingle
2.
3.
 
Roof:
1. ASPHALT
2.
3.
Other:
1.
2.
3.
 
Period of Significance:  1922-1951
 
Area of Significance:
1. Commerce
2.
3.
Arch/Builder:  
Date Built:  1922
 
Architectural Classification:
Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals: Colonial Revival 
Material Notes:
 
Description:
 
Other Buildings/Features:
 
Significant Persons:
Reimer, Cyrus, 1854-1923.
Fisher, William A., 1886-1969.
Carey, Ward W., 1870-1963. 
Statement of Significance:
This house is significant as the summer home of Fisher Body president William A. Fisher and as the home of Cyrus Reimer, a Rochester hardware merchant and son of Joseph Reimer, a nineteenth-century Rochester merchant who founded the firm that eventually became Case's hardware. 
References:
1. "Builds New Home: Rochester Man Lets Contract For Farm House," Pontiac Daily Press, March 30, 1922.
2. "Mr. & Mrs. Cyrus Reimer are now nicely located...," Rochester Era, June 29, 1923, p.4.
3. "Purchase Reimer Home," Rochester Clarion, April 17, 1925, p.1.
4. "Subdue Two Blazes Same Day, House," Rochester Clarion, May 28, 1970, p.1. 
Surveyor's Comments:
House has been moved from its original location at 1690 S. Rochester Road. 
History:
This house was originally located to the east of its present site and was situated on Rochester Road. It was built there in 1922 for Cyrus Reimer, who was at one time a Rochester hardware merchant and later a traveling representative of hardware manufacturers. The Pontiac Daily Press announced the construction of this house in 1922: "The contract has been let for a fine residence for Cyrus Reimer, to be built on his farm, one and one half miles south of Rochester. Mr. Reimer was formerly a Rochester resident, but has made his home in Cleveland for the last 15 years."

One year later, the Rochester Era reported as follows:
"Mr. & Mrs. Cyrus Reimer are now nicely located in their elegant new home south of Rochester. Cyrus' ambition and life dream to return to Rochester has been achieved and himself and wife have indeed reason to feel proud of their new home."

Just over a year after commissioning his house on his farm south of the village of Rochester, Cyrus Reimer died. His widow, Laura Reimer, sold the farm and house in 1925 to William A. Fisher of Detroit. The Rochester Clarion reported on April 17, 1925:
"William A. Fisher, president of the Fisher Body Works, of Detroit, has purchased the palatial farm home of Mrs. Laura Reimer, one and one-fourth miles south of Rochester on the Rochester pavement. Ward Carey has been engaged as overseer of the farm and will occupy the house, while George Stewart will occupy the tenant house vacated by George Ahrens."

William A. Fisher was born in 1886 in Norwalk, Ohio and joined his brothers at the Fisher Body Company in Detroit in 1915. William eventually became president of the Fisher Body Division after the family company was sold to General Motors in 1926. Fisher lived in Detroit, near his business, but used his farm in Avon Township as a summer getaway and weekend retreat.

Fisher, in turn, sold the property in June 1951, and one month later, it was sold to the Mount Elliott Cemetery Association. Mount Elliott intended to develop a new cemetery on the property, but their plans never came to fruition. The cemetery association finally sold the property to the Winchester Association for development in August 1969.

Some time between 1969 and 1970, the Reimer house was pushed back in a westerly direction across the fields and relocated on a lot in the Bogart's Place subdivision on Crestline Street, which was a replat of part of the Hamlin Place Farms subdivision.

After its relocation to Crestline Street, the house suffered a lightning strike and fire on the third floor. This occurred during a severe storm in May 1970, and damage was confined to the third floor.